Movie Night Schedule
Thursday, Oct. 10
Charade (1963, 113m, color)... Audrey Hepburn and Cary Grant.
Thursday, Oct. 17
Tales of the Night (2011, 84m, color) with Papageno (1935, 12m, BW)... an evening of silhouette animation. Tales (a.k.a. Dragons and Princesses) is collection of vibrant short fairy stories. Papageno is a Lotte Reiniger short with Germanic opera singing. (96m total)
Wednesday, Oct. 23
Stormy Weather (1943, 78m, BW) The relationship between an aspiring dancer and a popular songstress provides a retrospective of the great African American entertainers of the early 1900s; with Ritual in Transfigured Time (1946, 15 m, BW)) An experiment with editing techniques that distort space and time in order to further contextualize an image
Wednesday Oct. 30
The Most Dangerous Game with Fay Wray (1932, 63m, BW) & White Zombie with Bela Lugosi (1932, 68m, BW)... spooky double feature. (131m total)
Thursday, Nov. 7
11/07 Meek's Cutoff (2010) , 108m, color) Settlers traveling through the Oregon desert in 1845 find themselves stranded in harsh conditions.
Thursday, Nov. 14
Tricks & Novelties... a program of early animation and visual effects from the first few decades of cinema. 80m total screen time, with some extra time to set up different projectors.
Georges Méliès (France, the original wizard)
- The One Man Band (1900, 2m)
- The Infernal Cauldron (1903, 2m, Super 8)
- The Damnation of Faust (1903, 7m, Super 8)
Winsor McCay (USA, hand-drawn animation)
- Gertie the Dinosaur (1914, 9m, Digital)
Ladislaw Starewitch (Poland/Russia, stop-motion animation)
- The Cameraman’s Revenge (1912, 13m)... using dead insects!
Willis O'Brien (USA, stop-motion animation)
- The Dinosaur and the Missing Link (1917, 5m, Super 8)
- Creation (1931, 5m, Super 8)... the movie that evolved into King Kong.
Lotte Reiniger (Germany, silhouette/cutout animation)
- The Stolen Heart (1934, 11m)
Roscoe “Fatty” Arbuckle & Buster Keaton (USA, practical effects and stunts)
- The Hayseed (1919, 27 m, BW)